A round up of the popular history books published in the UK last month in hardback! This list is intended to be pretty comprehensive (see notes) with covers linking to Amazon (🇬🇧 and 🇺🇸). Hover mouse or press finger to reveal icon links. Our full list of history books can be found here.
We are spoiled for choice this month, from the irreverent (“Ask A Historian”) to the serious (all the others).
A few I am keeping an eye on are:
- The Dawn of Everything – as the late David Graeber writes amazingly well, albeit I think he is late to the party here.
- The Wolf Age – which has been popular in Norway we are told and is now translated into English.
- The Cause – because I understand Joseph J Ellis has a high standard of scholarship yet also writes very well.
- Also “The Library”, “The Burgundians” and “The Ottomans” – because I don’t know much about any of these subjects!
Which books appeal to you? You can either silently think of them, or write a note in the comments section below.
Our full list of 2021 (and earlier) books can be found here.
Notes (return to top)
- The purpose of this list is to give you a good feel for all the history books published in hardback in the UK. It is a reasonably exhaustive list but…
- The list is limited to books which are sold on Amazon.co.uk. This means that some publishers that don’t sell on Amazon will be missed but the vast majority are included.
- It also uses the date published (for the hardback version of the book) entered onto Amazon.co.uk to determine the publication year.
- Books shown roughly in date published order, with the ones we have reviewed put right to the top.
- I have excluded military history books which I see as a category all on its own (and would if included have swamped the non-military history books).
- I have excluded history books that I see as too “local” eg the many books on particular aspects of the US Civil War, or the many books focussing on relatives of medieval English kings.
- Finally I might have missed some interesting history books! If you think we have, contact us to let us know.